Is Organic food worse for the Climate?

Chalmers University of Technology. ( 2018, Dec 13). Is Organic food worse for the Climate? EurekAlert. Retrieved (2019, Feb 20) From:

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-12/cuot-ofw121318.php

Summary:

This article makes the argument that organically grown food has a larger impact on the environment than conventionally grown food for the amount of food that is grown per acre. There was an experiment between conventionally and organically grown peas in California. The results showed that the organically grown peas have 50% greater emissions than conventionally grown peas. This is mainly because the amount of land used for organic food needed to produce the same amount of conventionally grown food is much bigger.

Relation to Environmental science:

This is a sign that we need to be fixing our environment quickly. It is important for human to eat organic food, and while it is not necessary it is much healthier and therefore should be something we want to keep. The emission of agriculture, in general, is a lot and in order for us to survive, we are going to need to find a better way that does not yield so much carbon.

3 thoughts on “Is Organic food worse for the Climate?

1. I agree with your statement. Organic food is very good and should continue to be grown. Although I think we can grow food much more efficiently with less water, no pesticides, and les fertalizers.

2. I agree with you, growing organically and efficiently is tough. But, ultimately we are going to need to do this in order to continue to thrive agriculturally and have healthy bodies.

3. I agree with you. I think that later in the future we are going to be able to grow organic food more efficient and I think it’s inevitable because organic food is on the rise and we’re going to need to change the way we grow it.