Alberta court rejects federal government’s rationale for carbon tax

The Alberta Court of Appeals has recently decided 4-1 that the federal government’s plan for a carbon tax is unconstitutional. The provincial government of Alberta has expressed concerns that the tax is a “constitutional trojan horse” meant to broaden Ottowa’s powers. Leaders of the conservative party also expressed concerns that a tax would punish families for driving cars and heating their homes. While this decision carries weight, it is not final, and Ottawa is waiting for the Supreme Court of Canada’s decision. 

I do not believe that the Canadian federal government is overstepping their powers. While I admit I am not an expert on their constitution, I believe that a government has a responsibility to protect their citizens, and that climate change is a serious threat. I also do not believe that  this tax is a punishment for families, I believe it is an opportunity for people to be thoughtful about their carbon emissions and for people to be responsible for their contributions to harming the environment. Companies should be paying more in taxes, but every person who is knowingly contributing to massive carbon emissions globally should find alternatives or pay for it. It is a a small price to pay compared to the cost of living in a world completely transformed by climate change.

2 thoughts on “Alberta court rejects federal government’s rationale for carbon tax

1. Totally agree with your stance on this Marit. I think the trick to the tax implementation is not have be an additional tax, but rather replace something- like sales tax. I wonder if the supreme court would deem that unconstitutional too. Interestingly in the USA, income tax is unconstitutional… and if you try not paying it, they’ll take you to jail. But it is specifically mentioned in the constitution.