How The California Wildfires Are Impacting Tourism

Skift. (Nov 26 2020) How The California Wildfires Are Impacting Tourism. Retrieved March 9, 2020, https://skift.com/2019/11/26/how-the-california-wildfires-are-impacting-tourism/

One of the largest environmental disasters that California has been forced to grapple with in the last few years, are the constant fires. These fires have destroyed millions of acres of california’s beautiful landscape, and this has had a profound impact on the general tourism industry. The article mostly refers to how these environmental events have messed with natural parks, the tourist favorite wine country, but mostly focuses on how these fires have destroyed the living spaces of the workers and volunteers needed to keep those tourist hot spots going. When the people who care for our national forests and other important tourist/eco-tourist hot spots aren’t able to live near their place of work, nothing gets done and tourists are turned away. 

This article provided some really interesting insight from not only the journalist’s perspective, but also included the point of view from governmental officials (our former state governor Jerry Brown) . It makes the rather simple point that tourism will continue to decline if the tourist locations continue to go up in flames, and if we don’t find housing solutions for the workers who are vital in the continued function of the ecotourism hotspots in california. I honestly would have never thought of the human aspect in the problem, so i’m really glad to have gained that perspective from this article. 

3 thoughts on “How The California Wildfires Are Impacting Tourism

1. I really liked your summary of the article, it was eloquent and touched on issues that I, like you, had never really thought of before. It’s interesting how we get very preoccupied by the cost of having to move out of your home and having it burn down, but don’t really take into account an economic view on the problem.

2. I really liked your summary of the article, it was eloquent and touched on issues that I, like you, had never really thought of before. It’s interesting how we get very preoccupied by the cost of having to move out of your home and having it burn down, but don’t really take into account an economic view on the problem, which is arguably just as important.