“U.S. industry giants pledge to cut plastic pollution in new pact”

Shrestha, P. (2021, February 16). US industry GIANTS pledge to cut plastic pollution in new pact. Retrieved March 15, 2021, from https://www.energylivenews.com/2020/08/26/us-industry-giants-pledge-to-cut-plastic-pollution-in-new-pact/

Major businesses in the U.S. have agreed to sign a plastic pact to move towards a circular economy for plastic. These businesses include Colgate, L’Oreal, Mars, and The Coca-Cola Company, and over 60 businesses have agreed overall. The goals are to designate certain plastic packaging as unnecessary and take measures to eliminate these by 2025. Additionally, in the next five years, they aim to make all plastic packaging 100% reusable, recyclable, or compostable. Finally, they hope that by 2025, 30% of plastic packaging is made of recycled materials or bio-based. This agreement follows a similar one made in the UK in April of 2018. 

This Plastics Pact is very hopeful news, and could demonstrate a big step forward against wasteful single-use plastic packaging. It is admirable that these big companies are making this promise, because they set an example for the rest of the country and the world. However, making these goals is only the first step. The more important part is that these companies follow through and continue to strive for less plastic and less waste. Perhaps, once these 60 businesses complete this goal, it will show every other business that environmentally-friendly operations are possible and available. In this way, other companies will follow suit. 

2 thoughts on ““U.S. industry giants pledge to cut plastic pollution in new pact”

1. This is great news and I am very relieved to see that such large corporations are making an actual effort to fight against the plastic problem. However, I agree with you, this will not be enough and is only a first step. Hopefully we will see even more progress going into the future.

2. This makes me optimistic that large companies are setting goals to reduce their plastic waste without the government having to step in and force them to do so. However, I definitely agree that setting goals is only the first step and I wonder how we can hold those companies accountable for reaching those goals in the future.