Water Pollution : 2

University of California – Berkeley. (2022, January 11). Safe drinking water remains out of reach for many Californians. Retrieved August 28, 2022, from https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/01/220111153647.htm 

Though having access to clean and affordable drinking water has been recognized as a human right in California, there are still around 370,000 people in the state who have no choice but to drink water that is full of chemicals and other harmful substances. Especially places that have a larger community of people of color. Community water systems are legally required by federal regulations to go through orderly tests to make sure that there are no contaminants that are harmful to people. Unfortunately, many systems do not pass these tests or are even regulated such as private domestic wells which many rural areas use as their main source of water. Studies have been done on these wells and the water quality. As expected, the water contains high amounts of harmful chemical contaminants. Poor tap water becomes more important due to the rising levels of climate change and droughts that California is facing. 

This article goes more in-depth about the effects of poor water quality and talks about the research behind wells. This reminded me of how much we take simple things for granted. If I’m thirsty, I can go to my sink and get a clean glass of water. I can take a shower whenever I want, and for as long as I want. Other people don’t have this privilege, they have to get their water from a well that doesn’t even provide safe water. I wasn’t surprised to learn about how climate change and droughts in California affect this issue, it makes me wonder how bad this issue is going to get.

3 thoughts on “Water Pollution : 2

1. it is so interesting that you point out the luck that we have in having safe and clean drinking water to the people who don’t have access to clean drinking water. It really help people know the problem that is going on.

2. I find this information very shocking like you. As much as I am already aware that the less fortunate people around the world don’t have access to clean water, your standpoint made me really think about how easy it is for me to get perfectly clean and healthy water whenever I want. I know it is such a complicated issue, but what do you think could be done to solve this or at least give us a step in the right direction?

3. I am very lucky that I have clean water because 370000 people don’t have it.
    And what’s the main cause is it lacking of funding or is it something else.