Adopt-A-Topic (2nd phase)

Los Angeles Times, ( Aug 24, 2020) The power went out. Now California might let these gas plants stay open. Retrieved November 16,2020, from https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2020-08-24/after-rolling-blackouts-california-might-let-four-gas-plants-stay-open (Links to an external site.). Many within california government are struggling with the idea of how to fix california’s energy crises. They are trying to come up with a solution because they were ill prepared and did not think ahead. The article overall summarizes that some people believe that natural gas plants need to stay open in case solar and other green energy can not provide for california during this heat wave, many think of it has has insurance. Than there are others who state the natural gas plants are to harmful and must be closed. Aloforna will have to find another way to deal with the blackouts.

Within this article is good and bad news. If california decides to keep the gas plants open california can once again provide enough energy to keep california’s lights on, but it will most definitely effect our environment negatively. On the other hand if we close the plants california will become greener and healthier, but will most definitely have blackouts. I see wins and loses on both sides, this article is interesting and compelling. California government can not come to a decisive decision and even if they do, it seems they rarely follow through. Furthermore i find myself sking whats worse california going through continuous blackouts and energy crisis, or gas plants remaining open and most likely effecting thousands of citizens health and california’s environment. This article is related through environmental science through the idea that  if the plants reman open it will increase california presence in climate change and negatively effects its air quality and surrounding ecosystem.

2 thoughts on “Adopt-A-Topic (2nd phase)

1. I’m interested in what you mean by California government rarely follows through on their decisions. California law is binding, no? Is there a dispute in the courts about a possible decision to shut down gas plants? (Interesting read, btw).

• Thank you this is a great response. When i say they rarely follow through I think I mean the projects are delayed by accidents, permits or other situations. cause yes it is legally binding.