Green Groups Are Divided Over a Proposal to Boost the Nation’s Hydropower. Here’s Why.

Myskow, W., & Tigue, K. (2023, September 1). Green Groups Are Divided Over a Proposal to Boost the Nation’s Hydropower. Here’s Why. Insideclimatenews. Retrieved January 26, 2024, from https://insideclimatenews.org/news/01092023/green-groups-divided-over-proposal-to-boost-hydropower-climate-change-emissions/

The hydropower industry is looking for support so it can be used as a primary option for the nation’s transition to clean energy. The bipartisan bill, from senators Daines and Cantwell is going to be used to accelerate the process that the dams undergo to become licensed and legal. With the large amount of dams in the country it will take a long time, but with enough of the money and resources we need, many think that hydropower can be a vital part of our transition to clean energy. On the other hand, many think that hydropower is not reliable and should not be used. It has many negative environmental impacts, and have carbon emissions that come from dam reservoirs, as well as harming ecosystems. A large argument is between the two parties of environmental protection and energy development priorities. 

This article highlights the issues between the two groups of environmental portection, and energy development priorities. It all comes down to whether we think that hydropower is a viable source that can support our needs for energy without sacrificing to much. Many people think that hydropower should not be used due to its environmental impacts, maintencince, cost, etc. Others believe that since they are already here we should focus on them and improve them. This is an interesting topic because many efforts are to destroy dams and restore habitats and ecosystems.  

4 thoughts on “Green Groups Are Divided Over a Proposal to Boost the Nation’s Hydropower. Here’s Why.

1. I, too, am divided against the idea of boosting hydropower, though I tend to lean against it. I think the negative impacts outweigh the positives, but at the same time, I understand the alternative options (ex., coal burning) are much worse. I didn’t know that dam reservoirs emit carbon, how does that work?

2. I concur that there are many facets to the hydropower debate, including social, economic, and environmental considerations. Although hydropower can help achieve clean energy goals, its effects on the environment—especially on nearby ecosystems and species—cannot be disregarded. One possible query for the author would be: In situations like the Willamette River, where endangered species are at risk, how do you suggest we balance the long-term ecological effects of dams with the urgent need for clean energy?

3. Unfortunately, Hydroelectric dams are too harmful to ecosystems. But do you think its clean energy output, can outweigh its harm to nearby ecosystems, and if not, is it possible for Hydroelectric dams to coexist with nearby species and not harm nearby ecosystems?

4. Like many solutions to the climate crisis, there are clear drawbacks. However, I think that in order to prioritize the climate certain sacrifices need to be made regarding the environment. Do you think America will opt to potentially damage certain habitats in order to fully utilize this clean energy source?