Morocco in the fast lane with world’s largest concentrated solar farm

Shields, N., & Masters, J. (2019, July 16). Morocco in the fast lane with world’s largest concentrated solar farm. Retrieved November 11, 2019, from https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/06/motorsport/morocco-solar-farm-formula-e-spt-intl/index.html.

The country of Morocco is now in possession of the largest solar farm in the world.  In order to create this farm, a loan of $400 million was needed from the World Bank. The solar farm takes up about 3000 hectares in total, which is the equivalent to 3500 soccer fields.  This solar plant creates enough energy to power over one million homes. The creation of this farm coincides with Morocco’s goal of increasing their use of renewable energy to 42 percent by 2020.

I’m very impressed by the strides Morocco is taking in order to advance their renewable energy sources.  If I’m being honest I’m a little surprised that Morocco of all places would be the one to lead the world in renewable energy farms.  However, no matter how large or small a country, any step on the path to renewable energy is a good one. One that can only benefit the world and the people living on it.  On top of that, Morocco’s is one of the most ambitious steps in the world. If only more countries could follow the example that Morocco is setting, the world would be a better place.

One thought on “Morocco in the fast lane with world’s largest concentrated solar farm

1. Do you think more countries will follow this lead? If this is working so well for Morocco, then I think there should be no reason for other countries to do the same other than upfront cost. 3500 soccer fields is nothing and it manages to make a sizable impact on Morocco’s power usage, so this seems to be a very viable strategy.