The Rush to Provide Evidence

With the approval of the federal government, the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) will begin leasing public land for fracking early next year. The California Council on Science and Technology was in charge of conducting research, and they found did not find evidence of water contamination. Although the scientists were only given seven months to carry out their research, and are asking for the bill to be postponed until further experiments can take place.

Environmental groups understand that there are serious health issues cause by the chemicals used during fracking, and call for a moratorium until more evidence is presented. Even the scientists that preformed the experiments are hesitant to give statements and publish articles on the subject, more data is needed. The experiments also asked questions that could not be answered or proved. “Investigators could not determine the groundwater quality near many hydraulic fracturing operations and found that existing data was insufficient to evaluate the contamination”.

Julie, C. (2014, August 28) Fracking report clears way for California oil, gas leasing to resume. Retrieved September 7, 2014 from http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-fracking-report-20140829-story.html

2 thoughts on “The Rush to Provide Evidence

1. Reading this was very shocking because as you mentioned it could cause health problems for us. If they’re going to leasing public land for this I wonder where its going to be at? This concerns me a little bit because it seems unfair to expose people to fracking when it could cause health issues. Was this shocking for you to read?

• This article was shocking to me. It is not right that the government is going ahead and leasing the and when the scientists have not had time to carry out proper experiments.