Californians too Snooty for Recycled Water?

Lohan, T. (2016, October 6). How California Is Learning to Love Drinking Recycled Water. Retrieved November 17, 2016, from https://ww2.kqed.org/science/2016/10/06/how-california-is-learning-to-love-drinking-recycled-water/

Recycled wastewater or advanced purified water– both terms are often used to talk about the same thing. Those are some of the things that have helped shift attitudes in California around potable reuse. Orange County paved a different way forward for California by using indirect potable reuse – treating wastewater to drinking water standards and then putting it back underground to mingle with water in the aquifer before being pumped back out for drinking.

This article was very interesting to me! It is shocking to read how picky most people are, if they see a word like waste water in a water bottle most people will be disgusted. It is also interesting to see how important word choice is. It is great to read that recycled water is spreading throughout California and hopefully beyond! This is relevant to the environment because if California spreads the knowledge of how benefica recycled water is the world would potentially be able to save amazing amounts of water.

2 thoughts on “Californians too Snooty for Recycled Water?

1. I agree that this is a super interesting topic. I remember watching a movie about this freshman year and people were absolutely disgusted by the idea of drinking waste water. But just changing the wording can help relieve people’s worries and encourage recycling water in California.

2. I agree and I hope that people start to use more recycled water because it’s a lot better for the environment. Do you think that other places will be influenced to start doing this aswell?