Boiling Point: California’s fossil fuel crackdown continues–with some expectations

Los Angeles Times. (2023, October 17). Boiling Point: California’s fossil fuel crackdown continues–with some expectations. Retrieved Jan 27th, 2024, from https://www.latimes.com/environment/newsletter/2023-10-17/boiling-point-californias-fossil-fuel-crackdown-continues-with-some-exceptions-boiling-point

California’s Governor, Gavin Newsome, recently signed several bills. The notable bills include the Powering Up Californian’s Act, which is to try and get Californians to transition to electric vehicles and appliances. Assembly Bill 579 requires all new school buses to be zero-emission by 2035. Newsome has also allowed a spending of $1 million for clean transportation. In terms of education, Newsom signed a law requiring schools to include climate change in their science courses, but vetoed a bill for developing a master plan for sustainability and climate resilience in school districts. The other signed bills include penalties for oil spills, water conservation, and safety measures for lithium-ion batteries. And the other vetoes were about plastic pollution and sea level rising planning.

This article addresses several bills related to climate change, energy, and the environment. It also touches on electric cars, renewable energy, water conservation, and plastic pollution. All these topics are very important and related to Environmental Science. I found this article VERY good, it taught me A LOT of stuff I did not know about my state and my governor, and it shed a lot of light on steps being taken to better our world.

3 thoughts on “Boiling Point: California’s fossil fuel crackdown continues–with some expectations

1. How do you think the implementation of bills such as the Powering Up Californian’s Act and the requirement for schools to include climate change in their science courses will contribute to shaping public awareness and behavior towards sustainability and environmental stewardship in California?

2. While acknowledging the importance of recent environmental legislation in California, I advocate for increased community involvement in driving sustainability initiatives. How can the state further engage and empower communities to actively participate in achieving environmental goals?

3. It’s hard to get communities involved in this issues, I personally think the first step is always a solid education on the topic you want to advocate for and providing outlets for students to further that education or make a difference with it. What are some ways you think that an education like that can be garunteed?