Invasive Species in New York

Nir, S. M. (2017, February 08). Downside of Being a Global Hub: Invasive Species. Retrieved March 11, 2017, from https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/08/nyregion/a-new-york-battle-to- thwart-migrants-of-a-different-type.html?_r=0

This article is talking about New York City and the fact that the city is such a worldwide hub of imports and exports have consequences, one of the main consequences being that this causes invasive species to penetrate the city. Due to having some of the most travelled airports in the United States, Nir states that it is not difficult for invasive species to enter New York, and in present day there are over 100 invasive species in the city alone, making it by far the city with the most invasive species in the US. In New York alone, the annual budget for fighting invasive species is $5.5 million.

I found this article interesting because I had no idea that so many invasive species were in New York City itself, I had some idea of it but when I envisioned the invasive species I imagined them mostly in the ocean or aquatic, never in the midst of the city. This article relates to environmental science in that it connects human activity to the destruction of the environment and brings into perspective how more human-intensive areas are more likely to face environmental destruction such as invasive species. I liked this article not only because it gave me a perspective I had not thought about in the past but also made me realize how travel and importing of foreign goods can have a negative effect on the environment.