$11m towards invasive species?

French, B. (2017, February 14). FWP requests $11M to fight invasive species. Retrieved March 11, 2017, from http://mtstandard.com/news/state-and-regional/fwp-requests-m-to-fight-invasive- species/article_64d5c3a5-0f2a-5b37-9645-569446139161.html

This article talks about how the FWP is requesting $11.5M from the government over the next two years in order to fight aquatic invasive species in Montana. The major invasive species is the zebra mussel, which is projected to cost the government $3.1B over the next 10 years if the eradication process of this incredibly invasive species is not ramped up; specific statistics show that when zebra mussels clog major water pipes in Montana, the damage and the fixation process can cost up to $5,000/ hour. Montana Wildlife and Parks is requesting this major sum of money because they are worried for their irrigation systems and infrastructure, and if given the money they will use it towards the eradication of invasive species in an attempt to save such them.

I think that this article is interesting because it really shows how incredible of an impact invasive species can have on a society and what drastic financial measures that governments are willing to take in order to get rid of them. In regards to environmental science, this article shows how matters in the environment can effect humans and their ways of life in such a drastic way, and how invasive species can take such a toll on the functioning of a society. I liked this article because I had never really thought about how invasive species influenced the entirety of our country, I had thought only about major cities and states like California and Texas, but never really pondered over the fact that invasive species are effecting people across the entire country.