Some Plastic Pollution Isn’t Plastic After All

Nicola Jones, 19 July 2018,  “Some Plastic Pollution Isn’t Plastic After All”, Hakai Magazine, https://www.hakaimagazine.com/news/some-plastic-pollution-isnt-plastic-after-all/

Microplastics are tiny pieces of plastic smaller than 5 millimeters across that are mainly a result from plastic deterioration. 1.4 million tons are dumped into the ocean each year and they are found everywhere, even in the most pristine areas. However, a new study on shellfish found that a majority of what was previously thought to be microplastics were actually small natural fibers. Researchers now believe that they may have overestimated microplastic pollution, however this does not negate the fact that microplastics are still an environmental hazard.

This article is great news that there is less microplastic than we previously thought, however microplastic is still a huge issue to marine life. Filter feeders, often the base of an  ecosystem, eat microplastics which can kill them, which could lead to huge changes in the ecosystem. The full effects of microplastics on ecosystems is yet to be fully understood, and we need more research on microplastics, as more plastic degrades in the ocean, the higher the levels of microplastics there will be. I also think that there needs to be more education on this topic and awareness around how consumers choices directly impact the environment.

5 thoughts on “Some Plastic Pollution Isn’t Plastic After All

1. It’s good to see that sometimes things we think are happening are not as bad as they seem, like the microplastic pollution. However, I think it’s equally as important that people still take the issue seriously and don’t underestimate its effects on the environment. I do agree there should be more education on this topic, how do you think one could/should go about doing this in an effective way?

• Thanks for commenting I totally agree! Micro plastic is a huge issue in the ocean that is only going to get worse over time and can have profound impacts on the environment. This article seems very optimistic, but in reality this is a pressing issue that is going to take a lot of time and creativity to solve. I think that in general there needs to be more education on plastic pollution and how our everyday consumer choices impact the environment. People need to make the connection that by using plastic (especially single use) it directly affects the health of the ocean .

2. Even though this article clearly states that it is not as a big of an issue as many think it is, I believe it is better to do something now then wait until it becomes a huge issue in the future.

3. Thanks for the comment! I totally agree with you that micro plastics are extremely damaging to the environment and can devastate huge areas of ocean. The article states that we have new research that found that micro plastic levels in a certain area weren’t as extreme as they thought, but it doesn’t deny the hazards that come along with micro plastics.