Gray Wolf Yellowstone Experiment

Gray Wolf (Canis lupus)

Service, U. F. (n.d.). Gray Wolf (Canis lupus). Retrieved from https://www.fws.gov/midwest/wolf/aboutwolves/biologue.htm

This article is an informational log about the American Gray Wolf. It gives basic information about the species and various facts about its history. One of the more important sections of the article discusses the effect that the reintroduction of wolves had on yellowstone national park. It benefited almost all of the organisms in the ecosystems from foxes and ravens to aspen trees. The reintroduction of a top predator like the wolf can cause massive changes in an ecosystem even if it is still critically endangered.

I found this article very informative, while it did not have any specific argument it provided significant data to base one off of. The study of yellowstone after the wolves reintroduction shows how important it is that we continue to protect gray wolves. That is why it is troubling that the house just voted to remove protections on them. Personally I feel that the continued recovery of gray wolves is more valuable for the world than the economic convenience of ranchers who fear these apex predators.

3 thoughts on “Gray Wolf Yellowstone Experiment

1. Hi Thomas! This is very interesting. I am just curious if you read anything about about what other animals or organisms scientists have tried this out with and in what ecosystems?

2. I completely agree with the point you made. It is disheartening that the United States government feels that global environmental protection is less valuable than individual and industrial prosperity. Do you happen to know if any other organisms within the Yellowstone ecosystem suffered due to the lack of wolves within the environment? What were the effects felt by the ecosystem as a whole?