Britain Is Failing to Protect Its Porpoises and Must Create More Conservation Zones, European Court Rules

Summary: A European court has ruled that the UK has been improperly protecting its declining population of harbour porpoises. EU law states that the UK must legally develop to create special sites for the protection of these animals, which are most often sighted surrounding coastal waters and at the mouths of estuaries. Porpoises have been rapidly falling in numbers due to tangling in fishing gear, chemical pollution and disruptive boat noise. The UK has a particular responsibility for the protection of porpoises due to its vast marine territory. Six special areas of conservation have been set aside by the UK due to criticism from nature conservation agencies. Britain must now designate additional conservation zones to preserve its porpoises.

Opinion: It is satisfying to know that pressure from environmental protection agencies is actually making a difference. It’s comforting to hear that governments are being forced to make environmental changes, and will receive serious consequences if not. I feel that it is helpful for environmental movements to receive coverage like this. It is fantastic that articles like this are being written because it brings attention to environmental issues and encourages other government agencies to take bigger steps. I appreciate how they identified the “particular responsibility”, because it highlights that the government is held accountable, so it won’t repeat its actions.

One thought on “Britain Is Failing to Protect Its Porpoises and Must Create More Conservation Zones, European Court Rules

1. I hope the EU can hold Britain accountable, but wish it monitored itself. I do wonder if Brexit is going to impact the oversight from the EU. Everything seems totally influx over there right now… in the meantime the porpoises need our help… or at least people just to get out of the way. Pretty sad to think of these magnificent creatures being caught up in the nets. And this is why there is a need for environmental legislation and justice. I hope you’ve been inspired as you’ve followed this topic this year Maxine. Thanks for all the good reporting!