Effect of Air Pollution on Cardiovascular and Respiratory Systems

Monash University. ( 21 August 2019) “Air pollution linked to risk of premature death.” ScienceDaily. Retrieved August 23, 2019, from <www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/08/190821173711.htm>. 

A new international study has found that air pollution is linked to increased cardiovascular and respiratory death rates. The study is the largest of its kind to investigate the short-term impacts of air pollution on death, conducted over a thirty-year period. The study analyzed data on air pollution and mortality in twenty four countries and regions. The study shows that even small amounts of PM^2.5 can cause an increase in the risk of death. 

The article goes into the severity of air pollution in a place in the world other than the United States. Australia is the main focus in this article. A doctor in the article talks about how Australia’s air pollution concentration is lower than most places. However, Australians are more sensitive to particulate matter air pollution and cannot resist the adverse impacts. The idea is that Australian’s bodies have gotten used to areas with very low particulate matter pollution that even a small amount of it creates a huge impact. In the article I was able to learn that the smaller the airborne particles, the easier it is for them to penetrate deep into the lungs causing death. I found the article interesting and it makes me wonder which areas are most sensitive to particulate matter air pollution.    

One thought on “Effect of Air Pollution on Cardiovascular and Respiratory Systems

1. Interesting, I never thought of it like that. I wonder if we’re going to see increased air pollution related deaths in the future, in these low pollution areas, in the future as global air pollution increases.