Oil Companies Ponder Climate Change, but Profits Still Rule.

Reed, S. (2019, October 7). Oil Companies Ponder Climate Change, but Profits Still Rule. Retrieved November 11, 2019, from https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/07/business/energy-environment/oil-companies-climate-change-profits.html.

The article talks about how Carbon emissions have been linked to climate change, and how oil companies need to seek new alternatives to producing energy cleanly, so that their business doesn’t become slandered. For example, the article mentions Dutch oil-giant “Royal Dutch Shell” and others are investing in clean energy resources, such as wind. Several of these European companies have formed the Oil and Gas Climate Initiative to invest in low carbon resources. These companies have begun to realize how climate change can forsake oil production, and seek means to produce energy more cleanly. As aforementioned, Royal Dutch Shell has begun investing in wind farms in the United States, to help resolve climate change issues. Moreover, Chevron Corporation has also begun making gas and oil production more efficient and with fewer Carbon emissions. 

It is common knowledge that the oil industry isn’t necessarily environmentally friendly. However, carbon emissions can be lowered by producing energy by means of wind, solar, or even hydrogen. I agree with the oil companies that change in the industry is necessary, because climate change is a severe problem that can dwindle the future of oil’s success. Although clean energy isn’t as profitable, and more expensive to produce, it is necessary to ensure the harmful effects of climate change don’t continue. I like how these oil companies are making wind farms to try and combat these issues, despite their expenses because of the severity of climate change.

One thought on “Oil Companies Ponder Climate Change, but Profits Still Rule.

1. I completely agree with you. I think that the steps these oil companies are taking is very important, as our fossil fuel usage won’t be sustainable. I really like your point about how clean energy isn’t as profitable because it is the reason most of these companies haven’t fully converted to clean energy sources. Do you know roughly what percent of our total carbon emissions is a result of oil industry?