A million people’s help urged on invasive species

A million people’s help urged on invasive species. (2019). Retrieved 13 March 2020, from https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-50173577

The UK’s Environmental Audit Committee reports that 36 to 48 invasive species will become established in the next two decades. These populations are threatening the future of the natural landscape throughout the UK. The EAC’s report emphasizes a need to slow the rate of arrival at the border. The New Zealand branch states that it will train 1.3 million people in biosecurity by 2025, while the central UK is planning on establishing a dedicated border force by 2020. These plans will help prevent invasive species from even entering the UK and establishing populations. Ms Creagh, a Labour MP, made the statement that, “Inns [invasive non-native species] is one of the UK’s top five threats to the natural environment. If we’re to beat this, we need people power, with an army of volunteers trained to spot and stop an invasive species before it becomes established”. The EAC and Department of Environment, Food, and Rural Affairs both focus on the additional economic impact of non-native species, with invasive damage costing around £15bn each year. 

I appreciate the amount of funding the UK has funneled towards biosecurity and invasive species prevention. I think that its focus on public awareness and volunteer training makes the biosecurity programs easier to implement than comparable programs in the US and California in particular. Rather than having to inspect each imported good, NNS border forces can partially rely on accounts from the public. However, I think the EAC has overestimated its abilities to train and prepare a sufficient biosecurity system within six years.

4 thoughts on “A million people’s help urged on invasive species

1. I’m surprised that one of the top 5 threats to the environment is invasive species! It’s also great that the UK seems to have the foresight to take preventative measures against invasive species. Do you think this will really gain some traction in the future?

• I personally hope that as environmental issues begin to take a main stage in international politics, the spotlight will soon turn to invasive species. I think the greatest chance of this happening is if impacted lobbyist groups, like farmers, start campaigning in Washington.

2. The importance of invasive species prevention is undermined among many. This is a great example of people working to mitigate the effects of it by putting projects and enforcement into place. Is action like this being put into place in the U.S.?

• A good example of public contribution in the US was demonstrated earlier this year in CT. Residents reported sightings of the spotted lantern fly very early into it’s introduction. These early reports were integral in limiting the species’ spread.