California has a Power Supply Problem

The Press-Enterprise. (2020, August 30). California has a power supply problem. Retrieved August 30, 2020, from https://www.pe.com/2020/08/30/california-has-a-power-supply-problem/

A blackout that occurred in mid-August is the result of power deficits, due to the failure to ensure that Californians have enough power during this transition. California could not supply enough electricity during the evening, leading to temporary blackouts that prevented a complete crash. The power usage was not excessive and resulted from an inability to stay flexible in terms of using other sources such as gas-fired “peaker” plants. Government organizations would like to continue closing gas plants, but the Public Utilities Commission and ISO would like them to stay open until more reliable sources such as battery banks are developed.

This article emphasizes the importance of making sure that Californians have a sufficient supply of energy before fully switching to solar energy sources. It highlights that as a result of an immediate switch, insufficient amounts of power have been created, leading to the need for flexibility when transitioning from gas to solar power, and to let technology catch up with the goals of the state. I partially agree with this article, as I do agree to an extent that it does take time to fully implement solar energy in a mainstream and successful way. However, I feel that this article underplays the urgency with which climate change is an issue, having a clear bias towards energy groups instead of environmental organizations. I feel that while it is important to take into account the opinions of energy providers, environmental organizations protesting a delay to solar power implies the urgency in which this environmental issue needs to be solved, which this article does little to address.

5 thoughts on “California has a Power Supply Problem

1. I agree. While it’s important to make sure that every person in California has power, it is also important to work as quickly as possible to combat climate change. It’s especially important in this state because not every state and country have decided to take climate change as seriously as California. Moving the state towards green and renewable energy is one of the most important things that we could be doing. There’s little reason to be caring, for example, for the economy over the climate when the climate will end up ruining everything in a matter of decades. Numerous industries and livelihoods will be ruined if we do not start to combat climate change.

2. I agree and appreciate the complexity of this issue, waiting until we have enough sources of sustainable energy vs the need to act against climate change. However, I can’t help but wonder will lobbyists and big energy groups ever stop clinging to non-renewable energy even as more and more renewable energy is cheaper, greener, and more efficient.

3. I agree with your response to this article. While on the one hand, changes that are too rushed may create serious issues in our economy as well as daily lives, it is this type of urgency that climate change must be treated with in order to be stopped. What would you say to the author(s) of this article to convey the urgency in transitions that you believe is needed?

4. This is very important in environmental science because cleaner energy can make such a better impact on the environment and the switch to clean energy needs to be taken seriously and done as soon as humanly possible. Although human needs for energy is important I think the environment needs to come first.

5. Hey everyone, thanks for replying to my article! Gabsil, I agree with your statement, climate change is a serious threat and while the economy should be addressed, it should not be the priority when taking into account this issue. Isastid, I wonder the same thing, and I honestly feel like it’s because it would take a lot to make them take such a big financial risk, even if it may be beneficial for them in the end. Melvos, I would probably say that while the economy is important to consider, the future of a clean world is at risk, and ignoring that for a few years of economic stability is not a good idea. Emmsp, I agree with you, the environment needs to come first, regardless of any energy crisis that could happen in these next few years.