Feuds Among EPA, Companies Delay Cleanup of Contaminated Harbor

Feuds Among EPA, Companies Delay Cleanup of Contaminated Harbor. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://news.bloomberglaw.com/environment-and-energy/feuds-among-epa-companies-delay-cleanup-of-contaminated-harbor

This article discusses the delayed cleanup of one of the country’s most polluted and toxic harbours in Oregon. The Environmental Protection Agency denied some of the company’s requests to lower the price and scale of the cleanup. There are roughly 100 companies responsible for the cleanup, and they blame delays and requests for lower scale cleanups on COVID-19. Portland Harbour is currently at the top of EPA’s priority list, so they are pushing to make this cleanup happen.

I feel that the EPA is rightfully being aggressive in trying to make this cleanup happen, as this harbour is very toxic and dangerous to marine life and land and ocean ecosystems. I am disappointed and anxious at the fact that it has taken more than 20 years for this cleanup to happen. I feel that companies should take responsibility and prioritize environmental health over personal profit.

12 thoughts on “Feuds Among EPA, Companies Delay Cleanup of Contaminated Harbor

1. I agree the EPA needs to be aggressive for the clean up to happen, but it took way too long for it to actually happen. The ecosystem could have suffered less if the EPA got aggressive with it sooner rather than later.

2. I agree with your response to this article. I am equally disappointed to hear about the continuing lengthening in delays in such a place of need. How do you think that more awareness can be spread about the EPA and Portland’s Harbour. This was the first time I have heard about this, yet it seems like an issue that should be a priority.

• I think that environmental initiatives and problems should definitely be more prominent in popular news sources, so that we can stay more informed about climate change. I think that also social media is a huge platform and great way to spread information.

• There has been tons of negotiations between companies and the EPA, because companies do not want to pay all the money for the cleanup because they are selfishly motivated by profit. Additionally, companies and the EPA cite COVID-19 as a factor, but that is only this past year.

3. I agree with your belief that the EPA is right in being aggressive in demanding the cleanup of the harbor and share your concerns it has taken so long and faces so much opposition. We must take an active role in environmental cleanup and this article makes me think we are not up to the task and will instead personal profit over environmental and ecological health. I had no idea the Portland Habor was in such bad shape. Do you believe the companies will be successful in their cleanup efforts or will the EPA eventually give in and there will be further delays and failures to actually clean up the waste?

• I fear that the latter may happen, but I feel that because this problem is at the top of the EPA’s priority list now, the cleanup will likely be successful.

4. I agree with you as well, like always it is disappointing to see where humans put their priorities. At the end of the day the EPA is right in their actions, and hopefully the clean up will occur soon. Environmental health benefits humans, and there is no reason to put off things like this.

5. It is a shame that the cleanup is being delayed and now with Covid, companies have an easier excuse to not begin the clean up yet. I fully agree that the EPA should continue the pressure to make this clean up happen. The fact that this polluted harbor has such a huge negative effect on the environment and it still has taken longer than 20 years for the cleanup to happen is just an absurdity. The environment should be a top focus and this situation just reflects how many companies and politicians “care” about the environment.