Biodiversity and Endangered Species

Lewis, S. (2020, August 27). 38 dolphins found dead after massive oil spill on island of Mauritius. Retrieved August 28, 2020, from https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mauritius-oil-spill-27-dolphins-found-dead/ 

A mass oil spill occured killing at least 38 dolphins along the coast of island of Mauritius on the 26th of August. Sadly, dolphins were not the only animals found on shore there were also, eels, crabs and seabirds. This area brought in endangered species decades ago which was threatened by the recent oil spill. They are having an autopsy on the dolphins to find the true cause of death while locals are taking action to help the plants and wildlife from this spill that could be a huge problem for years to come. 

The article brings attention to the long term effects of hard chemicals and their effects on wildlife. This will most likely be a long term issue because the oil is now seeping into the coral reefs and soil, which now puts many species at risk of extinction even the endangered species that they had just re-introduced. The oil has caused a huge environmental complication because you can not just take the oil out of the water and scientists say species are at risk of drowning which will cause the species living that area to be endangered. There will be independent public investigation of the disaster by the environmental organization to protect the island. In conclusion, incidents like these are what can slowly or quickly wipe out entire species but it is nice to see locals doing everything they can to preserve their island.  

3 thoughts on “Biodiversity and Endangered Species

1. Lyndsey- I clicked on this before I read the title of the article (which you should put in the top box next time)… and then saw it was going to be a super sad story. I heard about this oil spill, and from what I understand the island people there are pretty sophisticated, educated people… that had nothing to do with this ship passing by. Nice job with the abstract, and follow up commentary. My question is how can we be proactive about preventing this kind of thing in the future… knowing oil transport is not ending any time soon. (On the positive there are way less oil spills now than there were decades ago… but tell that to the people of Mauritius.)

2. This was sad to hear. I believe people who are responsible for spills like this should be fined extensively for what they’ve done. Considering they’re already making so much money in the oil industry.