Biodiversity and Endangered Species

Martindale, D. (2020, August 28). The Strategic Case for Animal Liberation. Retrieved August 30, 2020, from https://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/08/28/strategic-case-animal-liberation

Climate change is a pressing issue today all over the world and it will change everything. Naomi Klein talks about how animal liberation is left out of the impacts, the two problems that will be irreversible are meat and wildlife conservation. In the recent pandemic, meat production has slowed down and we have seen some of the impacts, but eventually there may be no meat production because of biodiversity and the loss of the species. Political views are very prominent in this issue because some groups are caring for the animals and others have no care, but once their “food” is gone or limited they will have something to say.  

This article shares that animals have been put on the back brunner, in terms of the effects on climate change and what will happen to them, however, the production of meat by humans is not helpful. It is actually harming earth by emitting carbon. That said, it is not realistic for everyone to be vegetarian, but people need to know the effects to be prepared for everything to change. It was brought to attention for many reasons, “the potential conflicts between climate action and endangered species, climate impacts on biodiversity, and the role of protecting and restoring habitat in sequestering carbon”, the harm of industrially production, and spread of disease.  As the article stated it’s not just cows (meat production) that will be endangered but meat is brought to light because it is something that will affect humans’ ways of life. In conclusion, renewable energy against endangered species should be avoided, instead we have to promote the value of wildlife, and spread awareness about the effects of this issue. 

6 thoughts on “Biodiversity and Endangered Species

1. I agree with your statement that it’s not realistic for everyone to become a vegetarian, and I think that that’s a common solution that comes to mind when people are talking about reducing the amount of meat we are producing. Do you have any ideas for our next steps, if we were to limit our meat production?

• Thank you! I think there is a possibility for us to come up with a more sustainable way to produce meat that may be able to help.

2. I have never truly thought about what the effects of meat production is beyond the idea of inhumane conditions. It is disappointing because as you said, how we raise our meat could lead to their extinction. For example, I do not think that I have ever seen a wild cow. In my experience, cows are solely used for their milk and their meat. They are forced to so that the farmer’s can have more cows, but do not know how to live on their own in the wild.

• Yes, I agree I have never seen a wild cow and it’s very sad because it’s like they are just used. Also thank you for taking the time to read this!

3. Really interesting! I like your point about how people often don’t care about an issue until it directly affects them and, oftentimes, it’s too late to go back once it does. It’s interesting how you drew parallels between this idea when looking at both climate change and the meat industry. What do you think is the best way to spread awareness about this issue before we reach a point where the damage is irreparable?

• Thank you for bringing that up, I think that we need to show more of the process because I don’t think a lot of people are fully aware and the message I not getting across.