Indonesia and Biofuel

Taylor, Michael. “Analysis-Indonesia’s Palm Oil-Powered ‘Green Diesel’ Fuels Threat to Forests.” Reuters, 3 Feb. 2021, www.reuters.com/article/us-indonesia-climate-biodiesel-idUSKBN2A4030

The article discusses Indonesia’s ambitious plans to start producing a much larger amount of biodiesel. Indonesia sits on a very large amount of palm trees. Palm oil is derived from these trees and that is used for the production of the biofuels. However, many environmentalists have expressed concern over the use of palm oil for biofuels simply because this will likely result in deforestation. Beyond this many other products use palm oil and the palm forests are threatened as is.

I completely agree with the author here. It is definitely risky to use palm oil for biofuel production because this will likely result in the destruction of these natural forests. This is yet again more evidence that biofuels are impractical for future use because of the demand they have for biomass and natural resources. If we aren’t able to figure out more sustainable ways to produce biofuel it will have trouble surviving in the market.

One thought on “Indonesia and Biofuel

1. I also agree with you and the author. By trimming down these trees, it could almost definitely lead to deforestation over time. After first semester, we know how harmful deforestation can be- leading to loss of habitat, extinction, disrupting the food web, etc. I think it is also important to consider that the machinery used to take down these trees will release a ton of greenhouse gases, which will warm our climate. Lastly, I think it may be important to consider that if this leads to deforestation, there will be no more source to biofuel, so in the long term this is not a good idea and has so many negative consequences. Is this a plan for the long term or short term?