Microplastics: The ‘Big Little Problem’ Plaguing Oceans

Allen, Jennifer. “Microplastics: The ‘Big Little Problem’ Plaguing Oceans.” Coastal Review Online, 23 July 2021, coastalreview.org/2021/07/microplastics-the-big-little-problem-plaguing-our-oceans

In the United States, the increase in microplastics that pollute oceans is a growing concern. Plastics break apart into smaller particles that sealife ingests. It is passed along the food chain until humans eat it through seafood. Microplastics have made it difficult for fish to survive and reproduce, causing populations to decrease. It is estimated that there is a minimum of 5.25 trillion plastic particles floating in the oceans. The average person consumes thousands of particles of synthetic debris through things like food and beverages. The consumption of plastic has become a massive health concern as it can cause birth defects and chronic medical conditions such as diabetes or cancer.

Something as small as microplastics can drastically alter the food chain and even lead to the extinction of a species. It is alarming to me that the general public is not made aware that something as simple as opening a bottled water results in microplastics entering the air we breathe. These microscopic particles cause damage to our brains, endocrine system, and bodies and can lead to life-threatening conditions. It is reassuring that there are small changes that people can make in their lives that can help to eliminate this issue. Examples of changes we can make are not purchasing single-use plastic containers, checking the ingredients of cosmetics, and switching to an overall more sustainable lifestyle.

4 thoughts on “Microplastics: The ‘Big Little Problem’ Plaguing Oceans

1. I agree with you that is surprising that more people don’t know about how easily we consume microplastics. I had no idea that everyday microplastics not only affect animals in the ocean, but humans too. More people should be educated on the terrible things that a simple plastic bottle can do to us. Switching to a more sustainable lifestyle is a good idea to prevent microplastics from harming us and animals, but how can we identify is something is sustainable or not?

2. I agree that it is scary how the general public does not know about microplastics and how harmful they can be. Do you think there should be regulations or warnings so that the public can know that their health is at risk?

3. I agree with you that something microscopic can have a big impact on society, and can change the lives of everyone. What do you think should be a method to stop this hazardous way of living?

4. I agree, I think there needs to be much more education regarding microplastics. While this is obviously a pressing issue, how resolvable do you think it is? Coca-Cola and other large beverage companies are notorious for damaging the environment to maximize profits. What do you think the best answer is?