Germany on Nuclear Power

Appunn, K. (2021, December 28). Q&A: Why is Germany phasing out nuclear power and why now?. Retrieved February 6, 2022, from https://www.cleanenergywire.org/news/qa-why-germany-phasing-out-nuclear-power-and-why-now

Germany, a powerful economic force in Europe, is attempting to accomplish its climate goals while not using nuclear power (phasing out its last plant by December 2022). Mainly, Germany’s phasing out of nuclear energy is because Germany’s general public is against nuclear power due to the proximity of the Chernobyl disaster as well as how much of the German workforce is involved with coal. It also turns out that Germany sees flaws in concurrently running nuclear power with renewables like solar and wind.

This article is related to environmental science as it tackles why Germany, a massive economic powerhouse in the West, is getting rid of its nuclear energy. It addresses the costs of creating modern reactors, public opinion, and why concurrent nuclear isn’t being used. I find this article very interesting, as it addresses a lot of unseen opinions with the economy and the general feasibility of nuclear, especially in an economically strong country such as Germany, but I still don’t agree with the reasons why Germany is phasing out nuclear: especially before coal.

6 thoughts on “Germany on Nuclear Power

1. I agree that the focus should be eliminating coal power before nuclear power. What are the flaws with concurrently running nuclear power with renewables?

• Thanks for reading! I think concurrently running nuclear power with renewables runs the risk of spreading yourself too thin economically.

2. You do a great job of articulating Germany’s grievances with nuclear while still arguing against it being phased out. I also think that Germany should not be prioritzing coal over nuclear.
    Do you think the German government should ramp up nuclear even if it is against the publics interests?

• Thanks for reading! I think that the German government should ramp up nuclear despite public interest as it is for the greater good. Even if citizens protest the energy, they can try to sell the energy to neighboring countries.

3. I definitely agree with you. Why would they think to steer away from nuclear? Especially as nuclear seems to be more and more promising for the world’s future energy supply.