Deadly Disease in Coral Reefs

Udel, D. (2022, January 25). Sediments a likely culprit in spread of deadly disease on Florida coral reefs, study finds. Phys.org. Retrieved February 3, 2022, from https://phys.org/news/2022-01-sediments-culprit-deadly-disease-florida.html  

Scientists recently discovered that sediments in the oceans are causing disease outbreaks in coral in Florida and the Caribbean. The stoney coral tissue loss disease (SCTLD) is causing rapid tissue loss in the coral reefs. SCTLD has currently affected over 20 coral species and is expected to continue hurting more. The toxic microbes are found in sediments, which makes it easy to harm coral reefs fast and widespread. As scientists from University of Miami continue to do research, more is to come of the effect, causes and possible solutions to the stoney coral tissue loss disease. 

I chose this article because in my first adopt-a-topic phase I had an article about the same issue. However, this was very interesting because I was able to see the progression of the research. From this article, I found out that since I last looked at SCTLD, they have found where it is coming from and done more extensive research to help control and stop the disease. I really hope that in the near future scientists are able to work as fast as they have been and help find a solution. Finding a solution to this disease means one less cause coral reef deaths, and then humans mainly have to focus on stopping bleaching episodes. 

2 thoughts on “Deadly Disease in Coral Reefs

1. It is amazing that scientists have found where this disease is coming from in the past few months. I agree that hopefully they will find a solution soon so their will be less deaths of coral reefs. What steps did the scientists take to find this information?

• Thanks for the comment! So far all I have found is that the scientists have started conducting research and testing new ideas. I hope it can be solved soon.