US Transportation emissions by state

Published by Ian Tiseo, and Jun 21. “U.S. Transportation Emissions by State 1980-2019.” Statista, 21 June 2022, from https://www.statista.com/statistics/1010152/transportation-sector-co2-emissions-us-by-state/

California and Texas are the two states that produce the most emissions associated with transportation in the United States. California took first place in emissions during the 2010s, but in 2013 its carbon reduction plan allowed Texas to surpass California in transportation emissions. Also, California has been focusing on reducing emissions and funding new laws. For example, California plans on banning all new gas-fueled cars by the year 2035. While California and Texas are the two most populated states in America, they account for nearly a quarter of all US emissions.

This article breaks down transportation emissions into states, and we are allowed to see how some states are hurting the environment more than others. I am disappointed that the state I live in contributes so many emissions to the environment, but I am also not surprised because we have such a large amount of people living in California. I am happy that new gas cars will be outlawed by 2035 and excited to see new inventions that allow for fewer transportation emissions.