Meat Production

A Nutrition label for Earth. The UCSB Current. (September 6, 2022). Retrieved September 7, 2022, from https://www.news.ucsb.edu/2022/020706/nutrition-label-earth 

A study shows foods on a numeral scale being bought daily at a grocery store, and of course, beef and lamb are some of the higher ones. In the article it states both these products taste good but it also takes ”the greatest toll on the environment with impacts far outpacing those of other proteins such as chicken, fish and seafood and nuts.” This shows that even with other protein sources meat, in general, is still on top for popularity even when it affects the environment the most. It then goes on to talk about what you could replace meat with and still have a healthy diet. 

I find this article not really informational but states what happens on a regular day. The article shows a graph of items bought on a daily and how meat is high on the list, even with all the environmental backfires. The article states that all the environmental issues, transportation, and process of buying/processing meat are invisible in the consumer’s eyes because companies are trying to hide CO2 production levels. This relates to the environment because CO2 affects a lot of ecosystems.

4 thoughts on “Meat Production

1. This article also relates to environmental science because ecosystems are being disrupted to clear land for the large farms that are responsible for producing most of the meat we consume. Apart from meat, which food group has the greatest negative impact on the environment?

• I actually don’t know but from searching your question up I found sugar and chocolate are the top 2 foods/ components that are most harmful to the environment.

2. I agree with the points made in the article, but are there other forms of agricultural that are just as worse (if not more so) than meat production? Furthermore, how could we reduce CO2 emissions from beef/lamb farming?

• I had a similar question in one of my other posts and what I was thinking is we could lower the amount of production and try to find another source of protein to limit co2 emissions.