Is This Invasive Flying Fish Going To Take Over The Tennessee River?

News Break. (2023, January 28) Is This Invasive Flying Fish Going To Take Over The 

Tennessee River? Retrieved January 29, 2023, from https://original.newsbreak.com/@april-killian-1599867/2906756829748-is-this-invasive-flying-fish-going-to-take-over-the-tennessee-river 

Right now in Tennessee, the rivers are being invaded by a silver asian carp.  This species of carp reproduces more than the other three species of asian carp, so it is going to be very hard to get rid of all of them. Also, this creature is a pro at destroying native habitat.  Boating in an area with this flying carp causes vibrations in the water that spook the fish and make them fly out of the water.  This is a problem because they can weigh up to 60 lbs and if a few of them hit you hard enough in the right places, it could knock you out or kill you.

This article is related to Environmental Science because it is about an invasive species posing a threat to human recreational activities.  Taking your family out to the river to go river rafting, or boating, or water skiing can now be deadly.  Humans are animals as well and our safety is being put at risk by this fish because it can jump up to 10 feet out of the water and hit us and cause serious damage.  This incident is terrifying parents near the areas of the rivers in Tennessee and may cause generation trauma in a way the movie “Jaws” did with the ocean.

8 thoughts on “Is This Invasive Flying Fish Going To Take Over The Tennessee River?

1. I think it is almost incredible how these invasive species can have their way with habitats in other areas, not only disrupting food chains, but also people’s livelihood. Where in this line of invasion can we stop the bleeding and restrict invasive species like the asian carp?

2. I agree with your comment about the risk the invasive Asian carp. I grew up eating carp but I know they have tons of bones which is why many people avoid them.
    I’ve heard that the government sometimes puts rewards on Asian carp caught, and am curious if this is a possibility in Tennessee. I know that the carp are extremely belligerent, so I don’t know if this could work. Does the article state what the government is to do about this issue of invasive flying fish?

3. I agree with you that this is becoming a big environmental issue for the local species and fisheries. Your information mentions it being a Tenessee river issue, but is it slowly spreading to the surrounding areas as well?

4. I think these invasive species will continue to become an issue with the largest immediate impact being fisherman who depend on this losing a source of income. This leaves me wondering if there is any way to get rid of invasive species in the water without ruining drinking water / local water sources.