‘Solar Powered’ Cells: Light-Activated Proton Pumps Generate Cellular Energy, Extend Life,

‘Solar Powered’ Cells: Light-Activated Proton Pumps Generate Cellular Energy, Extend Life, 30 December 2022, https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/12/221230142237.htm.

In this article, we learn about how scientists have found a way to engineer synthetic chloroplasts, which allows for what is essentially solar powered cells. Scientists have been working on this project for a while, and finding a way to extend cell life naturally has been huge. The synthetic mitochondria will be able to turn light energy into chemical energy, in the form of ATP, which the cell continues to perform its functions. The new discovery also has revealed more about aging, and the way that cells perform it. With this information, we could possibly find ways to create other synthetic organelles, which could create more efficient human cells. 

Again, this could pose a large moral issue, in terms of how the new change and development and technology is implemented, but as long as we stick to good intense with science, this is a great step in genetic modification sciences. I think that this is one of the biggest steps we’ve made in genetic modification, because it’s not just changing a strand of DNA to act differently, which requires precision, but isn’t new science necessarily. This development shows us that we can actually create organelles in a lab, meaning that the repair for cells is possible. This could also lead to new improvements in cell regeneration in humans, specifically in severe medical conditions where new cells are needed, but hard to find.

2 thoughts on “‘Solar Powered’ Cells: Light-Activated Proton Pumps Generate Cellular Energy, Extend Life,

1. I agree with your statement that this could be a huge development but also pose moral issues, however I believe that if we were to develop a way to keep people healthy and alive for longer it should be implemented, given that it is not inhumane. How do you think this would relate to APES? I think it could lead to more efficient plants that could sequester carbon faster.

2. I agree with you, I think this could definitely be a moral issue, though do you think people are likely to implement it? Usually, actions such as this cost a good amount of money, is this solution something we should be spending it on or are there other matters you think could be more helpful?