Adopt-A-Topic Phase 2 Article 1

AP News, (2022, September 22), UK government lifts fracking ban despite opposition. Retrieved January 27, 2023 from https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-entertainment-england-hydraulic-fracturing-liz-truss-8dbb0fbc0fa6dbf85e979043bfd7b32a

This article is about how the UK has recently lifted its ban on fracking so they can become energy independent during the war between Russia and Ukraine. In 2019, the UK placed a ban on fracking due to its negative effects on the environment. This law stayed in effect until recently when the new Prime Minister lifted this ban in order to become energy independent. Previously, the UK relied on imports of oil and other fossil fuels for energy. One of their main suppliers was Russia. However, due to the war, the UK can no longer get fossil fuels from Russia., and have to find their own way to get fossil fuels. This is why they lifted the ban on fracking. Going forward, the UK will try to limit fracking and only obtain just enough fossil fuels so that the country can continue to function. There will also be stricter laws surrounding fracking and companies will need new licenses and be required to follow new regulations.

My opinion on this is I think this is the ideal way to approach the situation. I agree with the UK’s approach because first world countries should be energy independent and certainly should not support Russia right now by buying their oil. I think the US should be more like the UK in the sense that they should limit fracking and only obtain the amount of fossil fuels that is necessary to avoid harming the environment. Furthermore, I think the US should have strict regulations and policies regarding fracking, similar to those that the UK has. This would ensure that the environment is much better protected. This relates to environmental science because it is a different approach to handling fracking and its negative effects.

2 thoughts on “Adopt-A-Topic Phase 2 Article 1

1. I’m with you, Dylan. Fracking is not going away, and can be done safely. In the US every state has different standards for safety though. I know Europe in general has long been opposed. And, England has a new prime minister who is making bold moves. England needs the energy… even those opposed to fracking use the energy. Did they mention anything about how they will do it safely? Where are they getting their standards from?

I hope your topic kept you interested. Will be interesting to see if they start fracking for geothermal energy, like in that TED talk we saw the other day.

• Thank you for reading my post. I don’t believe the article mentioned anything about safety standards, but I would assume they would use ones similar to those in the US.