Adopt-A-Topic Phase 2 Article 3

The Guardian, (2022, October 24), Rishi Sunak will keep ban on fracking in UK, No 10 confirms.

Retrieved January 27, 2023 from

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/oct/26/rishi-sunak-ban-on-fracking-uk-no-10

This article is about how the lift of the fracking ban in the UK that took place in September of 2022 was reversed just a month later. The then Prime Minister had a short lived run and was replaced with a new candidate with different ideas. Prime Minister Rish Sunak activated the fracking ban again and stated that it would stay that way as long as he was in office. He has decided to continue to import fossil fuels from other countries, and will not tolerate the damage that fracking causes. This is interesting because in the span of one month the fracking ban in the UK went from active to inactive to active again. However it looks now as though it will stay banned for a while. The UK will focus on finding clean renewable energy sources and make those sources more available while they import fossil fuels to maintain the amount of energy that they need.

My opinion on this is that it is a valid approach to the situation. Personally, I side with the old plan of allowing fracking but only in limited amounts with strict laws surrounding the process of fracking. However, this new approach is good as well. It will mean that the UK will have a smaller carbon footprint and will not have too much of an overall effect on the UK as a whole compared to how things were in September. This relates to environmental science because this is yet another approach to fracking and is a new way to deal with the limited resources due to the war.

4 thoughts on “Adopt-A-Topic Phase 2 Article 3

1. I think it’s good that the UK is going to focus on more renewable energy. This sounds a bit like our government currently with Biden changing back some of Trump’s policies. Do you think it is hypocritical to put a ban on fracking for environmental reasons but to still import fossil fuels from other countries that may use fracking?

• Thank you for reading my post. I do think it is hypocritical but I would probably do the same thing if I were the leader of a country because fracking is a harmful process to the environment. so its better that it happens somewhere else than in your own country.

2. It’s good that the United Kingdom is taking steps toward renewable energy sources. But what are the political implications of relying on the import of fossil fuels? Will energy in the country become more expensive due to any import duties? Did Brexit play a factor in this?
    Nonetheless, interesting read.

• Thank you for reading my post. I think that fuel prices probably will go up in the UK. I think they’re hoping that they won’t have to rely on fossil fuel imports for too long though.