Water Pollution 3 : EPA issues Clean Water Rule that repeals Trump administration changes

Newburger, E. (2022, December 31). EPA issues Clean Water Rule that repeals Trump administration changes. CNBC. Retrieved January 29, 2023, from https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/30/epa-issues-clean-water-rule-that-repeals-trump-administration-changes.html?&qsearchterm=water+pollution 

The Biden Administration issued a rule that established the types of waterways in the U.S. that would receive federal water quality protections under the 1972 Clean Water Act. By doing this, it repealed Trump’s decision to repeal the water regulation that Obama had set ( limiting the amount of pollution and chemicals in the country’s bodies of water ) which the federal courts and environmental groups were not fond of. According to the EPA and Department of the Army, the rule that the Biden Administration issued was a revised version of the one that Obama issued. Officials have stated that the rule ensures a more durable definition of the “waters of the United States”. It also means that a large number of the country’s bodies of water will receive federal protection and restore shields. Ones that are federally protected qualify for government programs that maintain water quality, prevent oil spills, and more. Environmental groups have raised their concerns that by slacking on federal water protections, the quality of the country’s drinking water would worsen. Other groups such as farming, oil, gas, and real estate developers view the regulations as something that could negatively affect their businesses and supported the decision that Trump made on the matter. Changes are also included that define specific requirements for waters that aren’t under regulation. It’s also been said that the rule’s definition of waterways will diminish uncertainty from developing regulatory definitions that have negatively impacted communities and the country’s water.

This article focuses on a rule that the Biden Administration established on the waterways in the country. I thought it was interesting that it was a revised version of Obama’s but it was especially interesting to see what type of people and groups supported this rule or preferred Trump’s decision. It’d be interesting to see why those specific industries were upset with the new rule. However, I think that setting regulations can have many benefits and improve the quality of the bodies of water in the country. Though it may draw some setbacks for businesses, is making money or having clean drinking water more important? In a lot of other articles I’ve read about water pollution, it seems like the government either doesn’t care enough or cares too much about a small issue. I think it’s a good thing that water quality/pollution is becoming more significant because it is something that could affect us all if not taken seriously. 

4 thoughts on “Water Pollution 3 : EPA issues Clean Water Rule that repeals Trump administration changes

1. I think you pose a really interesting question in your commentary. I think a lot of decisions made in general are focused on the economic benefits or drawbacks. And while this stuff is important to consider, some things like clean water benefit the entirety of society, even if some businesses lose a bit of profit. Sometimes I think everything is much too based on money rather than the people. Why do you think people don’t pay enough attention to water quality? Do you think the businesses that profit from cutting corners and polluting water are the reason the government is so quiet about this?

• Thank you for your comment!
      I really appreciate the detail of your comment and the questions you have.

Personally, I believe that there are a good amount of people who care about water quality but it isn’t enough for large corporations/government to make any huge changes. Maybe it’s because pollution doesn’t directly affect certain people? Or maybe people are not informed enough about the impacts/threats that water pollution strikes. I also think that the need for money can drive people to do crazy/impractical things so I would not be surprised if the government doesn’t care as much as long as money is being made.

2. I am glad that our government is taking action but most of them are determined by money. Also the article was very well written while being in depth

• Thank you for your comment!
      I agree that it’s good that water pollution is on the government’s radar but they still could be doing more about it. As long as money is involved, I don’t see the government making any huge progress on the issue.