Waiving California environmental rules for delta water equates to a civil rights issue

Willie, K., & Chichizola, R. (2023, March 17). Waiving california environmental rules for delta water equates to a civil rights issue. CalMatters. https://calmatters.org/environment/water/2023/03/delta-water-environment-rules/ 

Governor Newsom’s decision to bypass environmental regulations for water storage and usage in the Delta region includes effects such as harmful algal blooms, killing salmon populations already suffering from drought, and civil rights violations- particularly for Native American tribal members. Rules were directed to be waived in order to deliver more water to agriculture which disproportionately harms Native tribes for whom salmon are culturally significant, and violates civil rights as California’s antiquated water rights system was designed during a racist era. The authors are calling on the EPA to intervene, to ensure the Delta ecosystem and surrounding communities are protected.

This article discusses finding a balance between human water needs and sustaining the Delta environment, therefore it is related to environmental science. Personally, the article raises concerns that resonate with me, such as the failure of the state to consider all stakeholders in water policy decisions. I’m wondering why tribal people, fishing unions and communities of color have been excluded from these choices, as they are clearly disproportionately impacted by decisions that weaken protections. More so because they suffer from disproportionate health outcomes such as diabetes, heart disease and suicide.

10 thoughts on “Waiving California environmental rules for delta water equates to a civil rights issue

1. I agree with your statement and also believe that this article falls under the umbrella of environmental science. Too often in America do we see minorities get stripped of their thoughts and sayings. If these groups of people were included do you think the outcome would change?

• Thank you for reading my post. I think that an increased awareness within minority groups would not change the outcome, as they are disproportionately effected in so many ways that this might not be their top priority.

2. The article points out the need for inclusive decision-making in water policy to avoid harming marginalized communities. Given the health disparities they face, what steps do you think policymakers can take to better consider these groups when making environmental decisions?

• Thank you for reading my article. During environmental decisions, it is crucial to at least have representation from the marginalized communities that will be effected, if not more.

3. It is really disgusting how profits can come at the detriment of other people. This is a really heavy topic, and it shows how environmental science can really spotlight many other topics since it is such a wide umbrella term.

• Thank you for reading my post. I whole-heartedly sympathize with your statement and believe that we should take action immediately and also focus on spreading education of environmental science

4. Interesting, I am also wondering why certain groups of people were left out, they should have also had a say, especially shown through examples of disproportionate outcomes they face. How do you think the outcome would change if these said groups were included?

• Thank you for reading my post. It really is unusual for groups that are effected to be left out, I was thinking that as well. If said groups were included, I believe that we would have better resource management and preservation and this would also set a tone for future resources and policies.

5. I agree with this but at the same time, it’s sad how certain people need to live life like this with limited water. Also, it’s concerning for our population because many things are becoming extinct, and we don’t know how to handle it quite yet. Our environment is changing as a whole and before we know it we won’t be able to know anything anymore, and our earth will be dry and brown. What do you think we can do as a community to make this change?

• Thank you for reading my post. I agree, it is very concerning the pace that we are diminishing our resources. One important step as a community is to have agreed upon norms for resource usage so we don’t lead to a tragedy of the commons.