New Technologies for Monitoring and Upscaling Marine Ecosystem Restoration in Deep-Sea Environments

Aguzzi, J., et. al. (2024). New technologies for monitoring and upscaling marine ecosystem restoration in Deep-Sea environments. Engineering. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eng.2023.10.012

This article focuses on the danger that deep-sea habitats are in. Human activities have been negatively affecting the ecosystems and biodiversity in deep waters. The depths of the water are so deep that only technological inventions are able to access the habitat. It is too deep for human divers. Hopefully, the technology will be developed so that it can restore coral and reefs in these deep waters. They will also be able to monitor the health of the ecosystem by recording and replenishing certain fish populations. 

I like this article because it talks about something that I had not thought about before. I did not realize how much deep-sea habitats were being affected by human impact. And it is even more interesting that we have to invent special technology to fix what we caused. I think this technology could be super helpful and will hopefully improve the health of deep-sea ecosystems. 

3 thoughts on “New Technologies for Monitoring and Upscaling Marine Ecosystem Restoration in Deep-Sea Environments

1. It’s saddening to read about the harm we have caused to deep-sea ecosystems and I think it’s essential that we work to mend what we caused. That said, what human activities most directly contribute to endangering these underwater ecosystems?

2. This was interesting to read. I’m wondering what human activities affect these ecosystems? Also, How can we help restore these ecosystems?

3. It’s really sad that we have such a large impact on habitats and sometimes don’t even realize it. I know deforestation affects biodiversity and ecosystems tremendously, but that’s on land, so I wonder what actions humans have taken to disrupt deep-sea habitats and what technology is being made to help the coral and reefs.