Obesity is Tied to Pollutants

Obesity Is Tied to Pollutants. (2014, November 17). Retrieved November 24, 2014, from http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/11/17/obesity-is-tied-to-pollutants/

Exposure to secondhand smoke and roadway traffic may be tied to obesity.  Researchers found that compared to children that wasn’t exposed to any of the air pollution, B.M.I. was 2.15 higher in children that were exposed to both roadway traffic pollution and secondhand smoke.  A normal B.M.I. for adults is 18.5 to 24.9.  Higher that 25 is considered overweight and above 30 is obese.

This article was actually able to prove the study that air pollution causes obesity.  This is for the reason that statistics of the B.M.I. of children who were exposed to air pollution compared to the children who weren’t was shown.  My hope is that the people who might have read the article will have to do something in order to prevent the issue like I did when I read it.  For me, the best way to deal with this now is to encourage people not only to be more ecofriendly but social friendly as well.

2 thoughts on “Obesity is Tied to Pollutants

1. This is a super interesting article! What factors qualified as “pollutants” that affected these children in the study? Hopefully this encourages people to maintain a greener and healthier lifestyle!