Lake is Reborn

Reuters. “Swimmers Take Dip in Long-Polluted New York Lake to Hail Cleanup.” The New York Times. The New York Times, 23 July 2015. Web. 23 Aug. 2015. http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2015/07/23/us/23reuters-usa-new-york-lake.html

For the first time in 75 years, people can swim in Onondaga Lake near Syracuse New York. Onondaga Lake was considered one of the U.S.’s most polluted waterbodies. Starting in 2012, the community as well as many government leaders have united to restore this lake. It underwent a 1 billion dollar restoration in order to take away 125 years of pollution. Now, the lake is fully recovered and people can enjoy swimming in it.

I think this is a great sign of progress in protecting the environment. It shows that with time and effort, we can help reverse the damage that we have caused in previous years, decades, or centuries. It is refreshing to see that people care about nature and will put work into preserving it.

4 thoughts on “Lake is Reborn

1. I think it’s really great that both the community and the government leaders united to clean up this lake. It’s an optimistic story for environmental science/environmentalism, which usually has so many tragedies. Hopefully clean-ups like this one can spread all around the world!

2. I agree that the story is a great sing of progress for the future. I hope ideas like these spread to inspire others to reverse damage done to the environment.