Plastic Eating Worms Could Solve Pollution

‘These plastic-eating worms could be the solution to pollution’. – Seriously, Science? (2015, November 5). Retrieved November 23, 2015, from http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/seriouslyscience/2015/11/05/these-plastic-eating-worms-could-be-the-solution-to-pollution/#.VlKnW6I5RRk

Waxworms, otherwise known as Indian mealmoths, have been discovered as being capable of chewing and digesting Polyethylene films. These worm’s stomachs contain two bacterial strains, Enterobacter asburiae YT1 and Bacillus sp. YP1. Over a 28 day period, these bacteria degraded a microscopic amount of the plastic films, which demonstrates their ability to degrade the previously dubbed “unbiodegradable plastic”.

After reading about all the pollution in the world, and how it is negatively effecting sea creatures and their ecosystems, discovering the existence of these worms was a relief. Although the research conducted upon them is just beginning, the bacteria in their guts may hold a solution to at least some of the world’s plastic pollution problem. Hopefully, researchers can learn more about these bacteria and discover a way to use them on plastic in order to degrade it, so it doesn’t sit in the ocean, getting eaten by animals, ruining the environment.

6 thoughts on “Plastic Eating Worms Could Solve Pollution

1. This is good to hear that certain worms can now help us to decrease our waste. But I think that it could be dangerous because now people might be more lackadaisical with their use of plastic.

2. I had no idea that such worms existed! While this seems positive to the environment, I also find it somewhat sad. The fact that our world’s species have had to adapt to consuming our waste is ridiculous.

3. I agree, I think if plastic is now said to be biodegradable people will become a lot less precautious about their wasting. How big is the population of these worms?

4. Never in a million years did I think worms could ever eat plastic. Hopefully we can find a way to implement these worms into solving some problems. If they can only consume such a small amount, how could we get them to consume a substantial amount of plastic?

5. That is a crazy idea that worms could be able to consume plastic, I never thought thought t it would be possible considering this big idea that animals could hurt themselves eating it. I think that it would be a good idea to have the worms eat the plastic, but how much time would it take for all the littered plastic to be cleaned up?