Check your boats for mussels!

Unknown. (2016, August 31). Boaters Can Help Combat Spread of Invasive Mussels Over Labor Day Weekend. Retrieved November 20, 2016, from https://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/

2016/08/31/boaters-can-help-combat-spread-of-invasive-mussels-over-labor-day-weekend/

This article summarizes the negative effects of the Quagga and Zebra Mussels in warm California waters, and precautions boaters about the measures that they can take to prevent these mussels from spreading and potentially wrecking the interior of their vessels. The author explains how the mussels destroy the infrastructure of a boat because of their ability to multiply so quickly and clog the interior of vessels. Native to Eurasia, the zebra and quagga mussels have the ability to multiply rapidly and stick onto practically any surface with their strength. The hard part about catching the mussels before they spread profusely is that, at a young age they are undetectable to the naked eye. In order to protect California’s waters from becoming more polluted with zebra and quagga mussels, boaters are advised to undergo thorough inspection of their vessels before sailing.

This article relates to environmental science because it shows the effects that invasive species have on not only the aquatic environment, but also effect humans. By advising boaters to take such precautionary measures before going out into open water, it shows the truly big result that such microscopic organisms can have outside of their native habitats. I thought it was shocking how these Eurasian mussels could destroy such a large vessel by just existing and following its instincts to reproduce and hold onto things. It puts things into perspective to me, because usually when I think of an invasive or predator species I think of a large organism, but in this instance it is the exact opposite, yet does more damage than many larger species.

One thought on “Check your boats for mussels!

1. Zebra and Quagga mussels can also harm aquatic life, so it’s a good thing that they’re warning boaters about this. I’m curious though: how exactly do they “inspect the vehicle”? Even if the boat is deemed okay for sailing, wouldn’t there still be a chance that young mussels have already clung to the boat?