Goodbye Hogs

Smith, M. (2017, March 12). Texas lawmakers say more study needed before. Retrieved March 13, 2017, from http://www.khou.com/news/local/texas/texas-lawmakers-say-more-study-needed- before-hog-apocalypse/421889664

This article discusses the invasive feral hog problem that is happening in Texas; millions of feral hogs continue to run wild across the, destroying native plants and in turn the habitats of many other native species. The population of feral hogs in Texas as of now is around 2 million, and scientists are trying to find a way to kill the hogs humanely. While lawmakers have recently passed the lethal feral hog poison “Kaput”, farmers are worried that it will negatively affect their crops, along with the fact that it could also hurt the environment. As a result of this, scientists are trying to find an alternative that will not hurt crops and humanely euthanize the hogs.

I found this article interesting because I usually think of invasive species as small creatures, but the fact that these large hogs have become such an invasive threat just sparked my interest. This article shows how invasive species negatively impact the environment, and how it can be hard to find a solution to the havoc wreaked by them. In this case, when a solution was proposed, it would negatively effect crops and air quality, which is scary in that it shows that the possibility of eliminating one environmental threat brings up a new environmental threat. I am interested to see how Texas will approach this situation again in the future because of how major of a problem these invasive species have become.

3 thoughts on “Goodbye Hogs

1. I agree—hogs are definitely not the first thing I think of when I hear invasive species. Do you know how they got into Texas in the first place? I see that this is a huge dilemma for the local government since many residents depend hugely on agriculture. If they can’t think of any other safer alternatives, how would they proceed?

2. This reminds me of when the Kane Toad was introduced and became an extreme problem. It is good that Texas is attempting to solve the problem, however it could cause environmental problems down the line.