Hawaii’s Olowalu Reef is a Vital Natural Treasure

Muckian, M. (2018, July 16). Hawaii’s Olowalu Reef is a Vital Natural Treasure. Retrieved July 17, 2018, from https://www.wisconsingazette.com/lifestyle/hawaii-s-olowalu-reef-is-a-vital-natural-treasure/article_fbedaae8-886a-11e8-a8c9-779917cb8b30.html

The Olowalu reef is known as Hawaii’s “mother reef,” and its revitalization provides hope for other reefs throughout Hawaii. This reef suffers from bleaching and other dangers, so the Hawaii Association for Marine Education and Research has made efforts to help save this reef. Researchers are also attempting to build new reefs. There is coral growth and increasing fish habitation in a sunken ship. The ship is also now a nursery for reef sharks and is providing a home for many forms of aquatic life.

Many life forms would not be able to exist without reefs. Efforts such as using sunken vessels to build new reefs and organizations funding research to help protect reefs not only helps the coral, but it also helps the many sea creatures that depend on reefs for food and shelter. Mission Blue states that less than six percent of the ocean is protected in any way. The ocean and coral reefs need to be protected to save many forms of life and the ecosystem as a whole

4 thoughts on “Hawaii’s Olowalu Reef is a Vital Natural Treasure

1. Coral reefs, obviously, are very important to aquatic biodiversity and environmental structure. I agree that they need to be preserved. But how should this be done? What are the steps that can be taken?

• They can be preserved by reducing the greenhouse gas emissions in factories. Those greenhouse gases lead to ocean acidification which bleaches coral. People can also be more conscious of the types of sunscreen they’re wearing because some types contain chemicals that bleach coral.

2. Coral reefs play a significant role in many of our ecosystems and I think people don’t realize how much damage it can have in our environment the absence of coral reefs. Do you think a realistic solution exists?

• I think a lot of damage has been done already so it would be very difficult to reverse all of that and completely save the coral reefs, but I think there are some solutions that can help reduce the amount of damage in the future. I describe some of these solutions in my other posts.