Ocean Acidification Having a Greater Impact on Oceans

Hays, B. (2018, July 31). Seagrass can provide localized protection against ocean acidification. Retrieved from https://www.upi.com/Science_News/2018/07/31/Seagrass-can-provide-localized-protection-against-ocean-acidification/6811533063501/

Seagrass has the potential to be a buffer against ocean acidification, protecting vulnerable species against the menace of carbonic acid. While also giving food and shelter to many organisms, it also absorbs carbon dioxide as it does photosynthesis. A study at Carnegie designed models to measure whether seagrass meadows’ carbon uptake abilities could lower pH levels. The models included the density of grass, photosynthetic activity, water depth, currents and a few other factors. The results said that seagrass can have a small, local effect on ocean acidity. However, it is limited.

The article relates to the species of seagrass off the coast of California, and possibly off the coast of anywhere seagrass grows. I think that it wouldn’t hurt to grow more seagrass for the purpose of filtering carbon dioxide, however I think there are more, larger and more efficient filterers, like kelp forests. Their filtering power accounts for all the filtering power of the existing rainforests, and a little more, so those would be a much more viable option. However, a much simpler one is simply changing our way of life to include more efficient and less smoggy cars.

3 thoughts on “Ocean Acidification Having a Greater Impact on Oceans

1. I agree with your opinion regarding this article. Despite that sea grass can have an effect, I feel, like you said that it would be more efficient if we grew things such as kelp forests that can do what sea grass does, but on a larger scale.

2. I also agree with your reasoning and think that it would be helpful if we grew more of this seagrass, to filter out the carbon dioxide a lot faster.

3. I don’t think people realize how much the level of acidity of the ocean can affect marine life in general, which can cause a bigger problem when wanting to keep our environment healthy and clean. Do you think they are other solutions other than seagrass?