Escape responses of coral reef fish obey simple behavioral rules

The escape response to evade perceived threats is a fundamental behavior seen throughout the animal kingdom, and laboratory studies have identified specialized neural circuits that control this behavior. The results, published November 12 in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, reveal how a sequence of well-defined decision rules generates evasion behavior in a wide range of coral reef fish species. They took an approach used in laboratory studies into a complex, natural environment and found that the same behavioral mechanisms seem to apply.They found that fish initiated escape maneuvers in response to the perceived size and expansion rate of the threat stimulus using a decision rule that matched the dynamics of known loom-sensitive neural circuits.

This article relates to environmental science because I think this a great example of how every organism depends on each other in order to make an ecosystem work. I think this is great evidence demonstrating how coral reefs play an important role in other species lives and help them maintain a healthy and well-functioning lifestyle. Although it talks mostly about the fishes how they behave in certain situations it mentions how coral reefs allow them to act a certain way whenever they want, indicating that in order for this space to act the wait was meant to act it needs coral reef in their habitat. When coral reefs are taken away from from ecosystems it negatively affects other organisms and it becomes a barrier for them to function the way they are meant to function. I find this pretty depressing that we disregarding the health of all marine organisms and protecting our own well bings by hurting not just coral reefs but other organisms that depend on them. I find this pretty selfish in my opinion and a bit ignorant.https://news.ucsc.edu/2018/11/escape-responses.html