Next generation may never see the glory of coral reefs

Watts, J. (2018, November 11). Next generation ‘may never see the glory of coral reefs’. Retrieved November 17, 2018, from https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/nov/11/next-generation-may-never-see-coral-reefs

A UN climate report recently upgraded risk assessments for coral reefs since global bleaching is now predicted to come sooner than expected. All 195 nations in the UN approved the fact that if the ocean temperature is raised, coral-dominated ecosystems will go extinct. 11 of the 29 World Heritage reefs have suffered bleaching, and UNESCO predicts that 25 will be affected by 2040. The highest risk reefs are off of Saudi Arabia, Madagascar, Hawaii, and Papua New Guinea. Other reefs have a greater chance of survival, yet they still have a low chance of survival. Those reefs are off of Egypt, Australia, Cuba, Indonesia, and the Philippines.  

Scientists are predicting harm to a very important ecosystem. In addition to global warming and ocean acidification, there are many causes to the destruction of coral reefs. Coral reefs are around the world, so many countries will need to take action to help protect them. This will include many big changes including reducing pollution, more renewable sources of fuel, decreasing sewage runoff, controlling fishing, and more. Many people may oppose to making these changes, but it is necessary to protecting coral reefs.  

2 thoughts on “Next generation may never see the glory of coral reefs

1. Wow that is shocking and terrifying. I know the coral reefs that we have now are only a fraction of what they used to be and so it is awful to think they are only getting smaller. I really hope that we can stop this tragedy before it is too late because coral reefs are home to so much biodiversity. If we loose them, we will also lose many species that call coral reefs home along with them.

• I agree that it’s very terrifying that they could be gone. I have written other abstracts about possible solutions scientists are working on, so I hope those are used on a larger scale and can help save the coral reefs.