Santa Barbara Authorizes Jail Time for Handing Out Straws

Timpf, K. (2018, July 27). Santa Barbara Authorizes Jail Time for Handing Out Straws. Retrieved November 17, 2018, from https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/07/plastic-straw-ban-santa-barbara-jail-time-punishment/

In this article published by the National review and written by Katherine Timpf, explains the new  ban on straws in Santa Barbara and the consequences of disobeying the ordinance. A new ordinance passed in Santa Barbara outlaws straws and upon a second offence of an employee giving out straws they could receive a punishment of  up to 6 month of jail time or a one thousand dollar fine. Each individual straw counts as a separate infraction. This is the most severe ordinance that has been passed in the country. Opposition to the ban thinks that it is too extreme especially because straws make up such a small amount of plastic pollution.  

Personally I think It is great that Santa Barbara has outlawed straws and is taking strides to reduce single use plastics. However, this ordinance was extreme, and luckily all the criminal language has since been removed from it. It also allows for straws to be provided for customers with disabilities that need straws to drink. For the majority of the population, however,  straws are not necessary, and so this is a great step to take to reduce plastic waste. Since straws are made from petroleum they are very hard to recycle and end up in landfills or worse, the ocean. Since Santa Barbara and many of the other towns that have banned straws are along the coasts, this will hopefully prevent straws from making their way into the Ocean. Straws are only a tiny fraction of the plastic in the ocean, so as great as it is that cities are banning them, we have to continue to push for more sustainable options for all other single use plastics, not only straws.

9 thoughts on “Santa Barbara Authorizes Jail Time for Handing Out Straws

1. Wow, this is a pretty aggressive (but positive) step for the environment. As mentioned, straws aren’t the a big source of pollution compared to other factors but do you think it is more symbolic?

• I totally agree. The tone of this title is pretty aggressive and it shows how serious people are getting about harming the environment. I’m low-key glad about this because this makes people realize how we need to do something to change the harm we are causing.

2. I do. I think that it is a great gateway into more laws surrounding plastic, but I hope that people don’t think that this is enough.So much more needs to be done to fix this huge problem and just banning straws isn’t the answer. It is a good step though.

3. Although there is already two comments on this post, I really wanted to interject. You mention that this is a bit extreme, but is it really that hard to execute? Yes, employees may be subject to forgetting, but I think with time and practice, it won’t be such a big deal. Do you think we as a country can take really extreme measures on seemingly “small” issues to create a ripple effect? Will this set a precedence to how we deal with environmental issues?

• That’s an interesting point. I don’t think banning straws is extreme, however, jailing people over handing out straws is. But I don’t disagree with you, and I do think that more aggressive actions need to be taken. In regards to taking “extreme” measures, it depends on what extreme means. I think a large fine is just and it will have a greater effect than jail time because money is what drives companies to change. I also think that extreme measures like this can actually drive people away from the eco friendly movement. They draw attention from the actual issue and make the argument about how absurd the punishment is. I do think that this is the beginning of a transition away from plastics though, and hopefully will set a standard of how we deal with environmental issues in the future.

4. I think what you view as extreme is simply not going to happen. Imagine going to your local restaurant in Santa Barbara and receiving a straw. What are you gonna do, take the straw to the police office? I feel like the “policy” is supposed to be more of a statement, and, as someone said earlier, it could be the first step towards more environmental policy that has a larger impact.

• That’s true, the legal criminal language in the ordinance was mostly show, but I think that it just doesn’t make much sense in my opinion. I think a fine would work better in practice. Its a great step that Santa Barbara has taken banning straws and they are one of the most progressive cities in the country in regards to plastic laws.

5. I agree with your statement that this policy is extreme. Yet, we need to take initive espcially when it comes to the plastic problem. What would be a better and more effective law in reguards to plastic?

6. I think that, at the least, straws should only be given upon request, as some opponents of the straw ban say that it unfairly targets people with disabilities that need straws. A fine would also be a great option to convince companies to make the switch.