A major US city will start drinking its own sewage. Others need to follow.

Schlanger, Z. (2018, August 23). A major US city will start drinking its own sewage. Others need to follow. Retrieved
November, 2018, from https://qz.com/1353825/a-major-us-city-will-start-drinking-its-own-sewage-others-need-to-follow/

El Paso, Texas is one of the driest places to live in within the US. It has been compared to Namibia in sub-Saharan Africa. They understood they had a problem when it was calculated that by 2025, their water reserve or aquifer would be completely empty and dry. One of their biggest problems was possed when the neighboring state, New Mexico, also needed water and they wanted a great part of it. Ed Archuleta, an engineer from New Mexico came to El Paso, employed one of his best solutions and not only saved but allowed El Paso to prosper during one of its driest seasons in 2011. Archuleta knew that water is an essential part to a person’s identity and his plan was for the long run.
After reading the first half of this article, I was so amazed at the accomplishment that this city in Texas did. I thought that it was great that the author mentioned that a key to their success was having a plan and implementing it. They had people patrol the streets so homeowners wouldn’t water their yard that wasn’t meant to thrive with the dry conditions. After learning about the use of recycled water, I was interested if other states were being as efficient. El Paso is definitely a great example of what could be if a community decided to ignore the “yuck factor” of recycled water and use technology to their benefit.

3 thoughts on “A major US city will start drinking its own sewage. Others need to follow.

1. This is a really cool idea, especially because we live in a state that is also dry and has suffered many droughts.

You mentioned that if people get over the fact that its recycled water it could really benefit us. Do you think society will be able to accept this new technology and way of getting water?

2. Very interesting stuff, I wonder if health risks are a factor here and how much the “ick” factor would influence public opinion around this.

3. I’m totally amazed, wow. I think it’s a great idea but knowing how many Californian’s think I don’t think they’ll agree with this idea. I do think that by making people more aware of the benefits it could bring it might persuade make them realize all the good it brings to not just the community but the state.