Most Countries Have Environmental Regulations. Very Few Actually Abide by Them.

Brown, K. (2019, January 29). Most Countries Have Environmental Regulations. Very Few Actually Abide by Them. Retrieved from https://psmag.com/environment/the-key-to-climate-change-is-getting-countries-to-follow-the-law

This article illustrates a study done by the United Nations which illuminates a near-ubiquitous disregard for environmental law and regulation globally. It found that there are 176 countries with environmental regulations, but 172 countries seem to be very relaxed around enforcement and the like. The remainder of the article discusses the dangers of not protecting the planet, which all of us are very familiar with by now.

This article sparked worry for me and makes me feel uncomfortable on the grounds of helplessness. It upsets me because we can see people who understand the dire implications of not respecting the environment are able to cause policy change but that often has next to zero tangible effects. It seems to be a common theme throughout the planet that environmental laws are not taken as seriously as other regulations and policy which is a dangerous precedent to set as it normalizes the low value placed on the environment.