Air Pollution Linked to Risk of Premature Death

Monash University. (2019, August 21). Air pollution linked to risk of premature death. ScienceDaily. Retrieved August 24, 2019 from www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/08/190821173711.htm

An international study based in China has found a correlation between air pollution and heightened respiratory and cardiovascular deaths and disease. The study was “conducted over a 30 year period” and focused on 24 countries and regions around the world. The study concluded that “inhalable particles and fine particles emitted from fires or formed through atmospheric chemical transformation” are linked to the increase in deaths from respiratory and cardiovascular issues. Additionally, the study showed that even limited exposure to this particulate matter can increase the risk of death, as due to their small size they are able to “penetrate deep into the lungs and absorb more toxic components”, leading to death. Ultimately, the article illustrated that air pollution is a serious health hazard which should be contained. 

This article is related to environmental science because it studies the relationship between an organism and their environment. In this instance, the relationship between humans and the pollutants in their environment is the focus. My reaction to this article was mixed, as I previously knew about some of the effects that air pollution have on respiratory health, but I did not know to what extent air pollution could be fatal. For example, when the article explained that “even low levels of air pollution can increase the risk of death” I was surprised because I was under the impression that only prolonged overexposure would increase the risk of death. Additionally, the article touched on the fact that although Australia has relatively low air pollution, Australians tend to be more sensitive to air pollution, and that could be due to Australins “having adapted to living in areas with low levels of particulate matter air pollution”. I had not thought about the connections between evolutionary adaptations and environmentally related diseases until reading this article.

2 thoughts on “Air Pollution Linked to Risk of Premature Death

1. Interesting take on this article- and people evolving to low pollution (I would think we all have, but maybe there is some selective pressure going on there). China is in trouble with their air- talk about external costs. I can only imagine the health effects and loss of productivity due to bad air in $$$s. Do you think some of the polluters should be taxed to fund public health care in a place like China?

• Yes, I do think the polluters should be taxed to fund public health care. They should be held accountable for the harm they do the environment and people’s health. Also, without the taxes their actions won’t change because most of the polluters are too selfish to stop on their own.