As Fresh Water Grows Scarcer

Source: Gray, T. (2019, July 11). As Fresh Water Grows Scarcer, It Could Become a Good Investment. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/11/business/fresh-water-shortage-invest.html?rref=collection/timestopic/Water&action=click&contentCollection=timestopics®ion=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=21&pgtype=collection

Summary: In this article, the author takes a business stand to our water rights issue. By looking at the stock market and its effect on the US, the author explains how investments in companies that hold power over water can be worthwhile. Companies that can shutoff water when it is being overused may be an upcoming profit for many investors. The Calvert Global Water Fund is an example used in this article. It is an index fund that has holdings in 111 companies that are all involved with the flow of water in the US. They range from pipe producers, line monitors, sprinkler manufacturers and much more.

Reaction/Connection: Holding a portfolio myself, I was super intrigued by this article. I look for chances to turn a profit when I invest, but this could help the environment too. By putting funds into companies that can influence positive change for the US is always an upside for an investor. With the chance to make money, people will always gravitate toward the biggest profit, and of what the author is saying is true, those who are interested in the stock market can possibly help in the protection of our most common finite resource.

One thought on “As Fresh Water Grows Scarcer

1. This is really interesting. I never thought of change in the form for investing but it sounds promising. I think its cool how they are able to make water conservation a thing many might not like, into something that they could benefit from. How valuable are these stocks now?